|The Boys character|
Homelander as depicted in the comic book series (left) and the television series portrayed by Antony Starr (right)
Bạn đang xem: homelander là ai
|Based on||Superman (parody)|
Captain America (physical look only)
|Adapted by||Eric Kripke|
|Portrayed by||Antony Starr|
Rowan Smyth (child)
|Voiced by||Antony Starr (Diabolical, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II)|
Yong Yea (Death Battle!)
|Full name||John Gillman|
Ryan Butcher (son)
The Homelander (John Gillman) is a character and one of the main antagonists of the comic book series The Boys and the truyền thông franchise of the same name, created by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson. The character is depicted as an egotistical and sadistic narcissist who serves as the extremely powerful leader of The Seven—a group of corrupt and hedonistic superheroes funded by Vought-American—and the archenemy of Billy Butcher. Beneath his public image as a noble and altruistic hero, the Homelander cares little about the well-being of those he professes to lớn protect.
In the Amazon Prime Video television adaptation developed by Eric Kripke, the character is portrayed by Antony Starr. This version is the megalomaniacal son of Soldier Boy and the father of Ryan Butcher. Homelander has also appeared in the spin-off and promotional trang web series The Boys Presents: Diabolical and Death Battle!, respectively.
Comic book series
The Homelander is a patriotic superhero who leads the superhero team, The Seven, and the most powerful superhuman created by Vought-American. The company's cover story for the Homelander is that he is an alien who landed in the United States as an infant, much lượt thích Superman. In reality, he was grown in a secret laboratory, the progeny of genetic material taken from Stormfront, who was injected with Compound V while still a thành viên of the Hitler Youth. Homelander spent most of his young life chained down with a hydrogen bomb strapped to lớn him in case he tried to lớn escape. His mother was a mentally disabled woman who died giving birth to lớn him.
Homelander remains under the financial thumb of VA, as their money funds the Seven's hedonistic lifestyle. Homelander eventually tries to lớn encourage the other superheroes to lớn bởi what they want, but relents due to lớn his fear towards his quấn "The Guy From Vought" (James Stillwell).
Until the events of the series' climax, it is implied that Homelander had raped Billy Butcher's wife Becky who then died giving birth to lớn a superhuman baby Billy had then killed. In Issue #40, the Boys receive a series of incriminating photos seemingly showing Homelander engaging in grisly acts of murder, cannibalism, and necrophilia against men, women, and children. In private, Homelander shows signs of suffering a mental breakdown, talking to lớn his own reflection in a mirror, and having bouts of nausea. He eventually decides that he is damned anyway for the acts depicted in the photos, and decides to lớn give in to lớn any intrusive thoughts that cross his mind.
From Herogasm onward, Homelander resolves to lớn không tính tiền himself and the superhero community from Vought-American's control. He leads the other superheroes in a coup d'etat against the United States, launching an attack on the White House and killing everyone inside, including the President. During the subsequent confrontation between Homelander and Butcher, the masked Black Noir arrives in the Oval Office and reveals himself to lớn be a binary clone of Homelander and Stormfront created solely to lớn kill and replace him if he ever went rogue. Gradually being driven insane due to lớn not being allowed to lớn kill Homelander, Noir reveals that he committed the atrocities documented in the photos, including raping Butcher's wife, in order to lớn trick Homelander into thinking he had dissociative identity disorder and pitting Butcher against him, sánh that Noir would finally be given authorization by the Vought Guy to lớn fulfill his purpose. Outraged, Homelander attacks Black Noir, who proceeds to lớn tear Homelander apart. Before dying, Homelander manages to lớn seriously injure his former teammate, allowing Butcher to lớn later finish him off with a crowbar.
The Boys (2019–present)
In the television adaptation, Antony Starr plays Homelander. As interpreted within the television series, he is considered by some reviewers to lớn be analogous to lớn DC's Superman. Grown from the DNA samples taken from Soldier Boy's semen by Jonah Vogelbaum and having been reared in a laboratory environment to lớn become Homelander, John Gillman displays many sociopathic tendencies and is openly contemptuous of those he considers lesser beings.
He is also possessive, paranoid, vindictive, insensitive, reckless with his powers, and incapable of accepting the possibility of any flaw in his person or decision-making. Unlike in the comic series, Homelander coerced Butcher's wife into having sex with him after she had been assigned as his assistant. However, he left her alive and, though he was unaware of it until the kết thúc of the season, pregnant with his son, Ryan. His discovery of the lies surrounding Ryan's existence influences his decision to lớn maim the scientist responsible for his upbringing, Jonah Vogelbaum, and murder Madelyn Stillwell. However, his emotional incompetence and sociopathic traits initially alienate him from his son, and the loss of Stillwell's moderating influence on his behavior unbalances him further. He enters a sexual relationship with Stormfront, despite a difficult beginning, and conspires with her to lớn remove his son from Becca's care and turn the public against "supervillains," creating public outcry for the creation of more superheroes. Stormfront is critically injured by Homelander's son Ryan and Maeve blackmails Homelander into letting the boy go and leaving her alone.
In a series of television interviews, he is forced to lớn denounce his relationship with Stormfront and apologize for his actions. Partly to lớn moderate Homelander's behavior, CEO Stan Edgar and Vought's board of directors install Starlight as co-captain of The Seven. However, in response to lớn this, Homelander bribes Edgar's secret adoptive daughter Vic Neuman into opening an investigation into Edgar, ousting him from Vought, with Homelander assuming control of the company himself. Before leaving, Edgar warns Homelander that he will not be here to lớn clean up his messes. He appoints Ashley Barrett as his puppet ruler and antagonizes Starlight by reinstating The Deep as a thành viên of the Seven and falsely announcing that the two are in a relationship during the finale of American Hero. After Starlight denounces Homelander and Vought and abandons her persona as Starlight via a livestream, Homelander says that he dumped her and accuses her of engaging in human trafficking via her charitable foundation, the Starlight House. After learning that Queen Maeve not only acted as an informant for the Boys but also slept with their leader Billy Butcher, Homelander has her detained at Seven Tower with the intention of harvesting her eggs. Homelander would later learn of his connection with Soldier Boy after receiving a Hotline from him. After confirming this connection with Black Noir, Homelander savagely murders the latter. He later picks up Ryan from Mallory's house after intimidating her. When Homelander attempts to lớn connect with Soldier Boy by introducing him to lớn Ryan and saying that all three of them could be a family, Soldier Boy disowns him as a weak, damaged, attention-seeking disappointment and attempts to lớn kill or depower him (as part of his giảm giá with Butcher). Homelander turns against Soldier Boy after the latter strikes Ryan, but is forced to lớn reluctantly fight Queen Maeve. He later introduces his son Ryan to lớn his and Stormfront’s supporters at Vought Tower. There, a pro-Starlight protestor hits Ryan in the face with a soft drink can, provoking Homelander to lớn kill him. This grants him the applause of his and Stormfront's supporters, while Ryan is impressed.
Seven on 7 (2020–2021)
In the following 2020–2021 promotional trang web series, Seven on 7 with Cameron Coleman, which bridges the events of the second and third seasons, Homelander continues dealing with the aftermath of Stormfront being revealed to lớn be a Nazi, as well as filming promos for Vought's streaming service, Vought+, and to lớn celebrate Christmas.
Death Battle! (2020–present)
In the 2020 Amazon Prime Video-sponsored The Boys promotional episodes of Death Battle!, in promotion for its second season, Homelander (voiced by Yong Yea) participates in the Seven's simulated battle royale, declaring himself the winner after killing Billy Butcher (standing-in for Black Noir), before throwing aside the laser baby to lớn fight Stormfront, a consequence of which Wiz and Boomstick are uneasy of.
In a 2022 episode, Homelander is pitted against Nolan Grayson / Omni-Man (from Invincible). In the fight he tries to lớn drive his opponent out of America during Christmas, by killing his wife Debbie. Homelander is promptly killed by Omni-Man in response, who dislocates his jaw and feeds his heart to lớn him before crushing his head.
Xem thêm: trần ai là gì
The Boys Presents: Diabolical (2022–present)
In The Boys Presents: Diabolical, Starr reprises his role as Homelander from the live-action series.
Homelander first appears in the final moments of the episode "An Animated Short Where Pissed-Off Supes Kill Their Parents", executing the title characters (escaped Supe teenagers with abnormal powers) on Vought's behalf, after they kill their parents due to lớn the events of The Boys episode "Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men". Ghost was the only survivor of the attack. Vought covered up all the deaths that were caused where one news report has Homelander saving Ghost's mother from a "natural gas explosion" that took the life of Ghost's dad.
Homelander next appears in the episode "I'm Your Pusher", mix in the same continuity as The Boys comic book series while honoring Great Wide Wonder during a promotional chiến dịch, Homelander witnesses his drug overdose (induced by Billy Butcher) lead him to lớn crash into Ironcast during a stunt, killing them both. In order to lớn cover for the sự kiện, Homelander, Queen Maeve, and Jack from Jupiter blame a "Cold War satellite" controlled by the evil Galaxius for their deaths claiming it is "hidden in the light of the Sun" which the watching crowd eagerly believe.
In the season finale, the prequel episode "One Plus One Equals Two", a young Homelander makes his debut as a thành viên of the Seven. Flashbacks of his childhood reveal the systematic torture he received from Vought scientists testing the extent of his powers. His superior Madelyn Stillwell, who has been manipulating him, warns him of Black Noir, the "Homelander before Homelander", claiming that he will seek every opportunity to lớn destroy him. Assigned to lớn tackle a hostage situation at a chemical plant ahead of Noir as his first mission as a superhero, Homelander attempts a peaceful resolution; however, after accidentally killing a hostage and injuring the eco-terrorist leader by lasering the latter's broken gun, he kills the remaining eco-terrorists and all but one hostage in a psychotic episode after they collectively berate him for his recklessness. After Black Noir arrives on the scene, Homelander attempts to lớn explain his actions before resolving to lớn kill Noir to lớn cover them up. After Noir tricks Homelander into blowing up the compound, he gains his trust by mercy killing the last witness to lớn Homelander's murders in its aftermath, and writes him an excusatory speech to lớn provide to lớn the press outside, claiming the eco-terrorists had a bomb. Everyone bought that speech. Later at Vought headquarters, Homelander tells Stillwell that she was wrong about Noir.
The character was designed as an evil version of Superman and Captain America in terms of powerset and costume. His cape pulled to lớn the left resembles the first costume of Captain Marvel a.k.a. Shazam. Homelander's backstory in the original comics is similar to lớn that in the television adaption of The Boys.
Garth Ennis describes Homelander as: "an almost entirely negative character. He is really just a series of unpleasant urges kept in kiểm tra by his own intelligence, which is enough to lớn understand that he can have anything he wants sánh long as he doesn't push his luck too far." Also: "It might help to lớn think of the Homelander as having all the self-control of... let’s say... a fourteen-year-old."
The Boys producer and showrunner Eric Kripke has stated that while Homelander can "in theory" be killed, a plot twist which involved the character being killed by his clone Black Noir in the comic book version will not be used in the television adaptation, where Black Noir is instead depicted as a thâm man and the character's psychopathic traits are amalgamated with Homelander.
It is also to lớn point out that the writers based his behavior on the 45th president Donald Trump, including but not limited to lớn their repeated phrase of "doing whatever they want", mental violent behavior, spreading Christian Nationalist propaganda, helping rivaling countries with weapons, their lustful behavior towards women, claiming other news sources as "fake news" and creating a cult based on themselves (including from Nazi supporters). This also connects with the kết thúc of season 4 where he kills a Starlight supporter in front of his fans and they all cheered, which is based on Trump's quote that people still love him if he shot someone.
Powers and abilities
The Homelander's powers include heat vision, super strength, durability, flight, super hearing and enhanced vocal cords. He also ages more slowly phàn nàn a normal human, due to lớn Compound V. It is mentioned that his first name is John, with Homelander mentioning to lớn Starlight that he once had an alias or secret identity, but eventually gave it up. In the first season finale, when asked about Homelander's weakness, Madelyn Stillwell claims he does not have one, saying, "There isn't a weapon on Earth that they haven't thrown at him. They've all failed."
The Homelander's powers and sense of entitlement have led him to lớn exhibit extreme megalomania, causing him to lớn commit crimes against innocent people, including acts of rape and mass murder, out of the idea that he can bởi anything he wants because of who he is.
The character and Starr's portrayal in the series received critical acclaim.
The character has been described as the living personification of how the world sees America. Homelander has been compared to lớn Superman and Captain America.
Xem thêm: bà tưng là ai
In other media
- Metro Boomin samples a section of Homelander's speech from the season three episode "The Only Man In The Sky" in his track "On Time" from his 2022 album Heroes & Villains.
- In July 2023, an announcement was made that Homelander and other characters from The Boys would appear in the video clip game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II.
- Homelander is mix to lớn appear in the upcoming video clip game Mortal Kombat 1, modeled after Antony Starr. He will appear via the "Kombat Pack" DLC. It is yet to lớn be confirmed if Antony Starr will also voice the character.
- ^ a b Robertson, Darick; McKay, Adam (March 10, 2015) The Art of The Boys: The Complete Covers Dynamite Entertainment.
- ^ a b Cragg, Nelson; Monahan Ellie (June 17, 2022) The Boys Season 3: "The Last Time to lớn Look on This World of Lies" "Queen Maeve: John- Homelander: Don't you fucking John má."
- ^ Archana, A. (23 August 2022). "The Boys Season 4 Release Date, Star Cast, OTT, Plot, Trailer & Updates". JanBharat Times. Retrieved 23 August 2022.
- ^ a b Rubin, Peter (July 26, 2019). "Amazon's 'The Boys' Tests the Limits of Superhero Fatigue". Wired.com. Archived from the original on 2019-07-26. Retrieved July 26, 2019.
- ^ a b Hale, Mike (July 26, 2019). "Review: 'The Boys' Deconstructs the Superhero, With a Light Touch". The Thành Phố New York Times. Archived from the original on 2019-11-26. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- ^ Gribbin, Sean (7 October 2021). "Black Noir's Season 3 Arc Involves The Boys' Scariest Supe". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 7 October 2021.
- ^ Ryan, Danielle (12 November 2021). "The Boys Roasts Disney With A 'Vought+ Day' Video". /Film. Retrieved 12 November 2021.
- ^ Spangler, Todd (March 16, 2022). "Rooster Teeth Hires Amazon Studios' Adam Bersin as Head of Marketing (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved March 16, 2022.
[Amazon Studios Head of Marketing, Adam] Bersin said he was attracted to lớn Rooster Teeth after working with the company on custom-content partnerships for several of Amazon Studios['] launches, lượt thích the Death Battle for "The Boys" Season 2.
- ^ The Seven Battle Royale (The Boys). DEATH BATTLE!. September 17, 2020. Retrieved September 17, 2020 – via YouTube.
- ^ BREAKDOWN: The Seven Battle Royale (The Boys). DEATH BATTLE!. September 17, 2020. Retrieved September 17, 2020 – via YouTube.
- ^ Omni-Man VS Homelander (Invincible VS The Boys). DEATH BATTLE!. May 23, 2022. Retrieved June 18, 2022 – via YouTube.
- ^ Milligan, Mercedes (February 2, 2022). "Prime Offers a Taste of 'Diabolical' in New 'Vought-A-Burger' Teaser". Animation Magazine. Retrieved March 3, 2022.
- ^ Maas, Jennifer (February 16, 2022). "The Boys: Diabolical Trailer: Simon Pegg Finally Plays Hughie Campbell". Variety. Retrieved March 3, 2022.
- ^ Swanstrom, Kevin (5 March 2022). "Homelander Diabolical Finale Is Canon For The Boys Season 3, Says Kripke". Screen Rant. Retrieved 5 March 2022.
- ^ Stinson, Katherine (March 15, 2022). "Is Black Noir Actually Homelander's quảng bá Agent? There's Proof in 'The Boys Presents: Diabolical'". Distractify. Retrieved March 15, 2022.
- ^ Maas, Jennifer (March 5, 2022). "How 'Diabolical' Connects to lớn 'The Boys' Season 3: Yes, That Finale Is Canon". Variety. Retrieved March 5, 2022.
- ^ Berlatsky, Noah (September 4, 2020). "The Triumph of Evil Supermen". The Thành Phố New York Observer. Retrieved September 4, 2020.
- ^ Harn, Darby (October 26, 2020). "5 Ways Homelander In Amazon's The Boys Is Comics-Accurate (& 5 How He's Different)". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved October 26, 2020.
- ^ Rybandt, Joe (September 9, 2008). "The Writer and his Editor: Ennis & Rybandt". Newsarama. Archived from the original on June 3, 2016. Retrieved September 9, 2008.
- ^ Venable, Nick (October 11, 2020). "Does The Boys' Black Noir Reveal Mean That Big Homelander Comic Twist Isn't Happening?". CinemaBlend. Retrieved October 11, 2020.
- ^ Reimann, Tom (September 4, 2020). "Can Homelander Be Killed? The Boys' Eric Kripke Weighs In". Collider. Retrieved September 4, 2020.
- ^ Griffeth, Trey (September 4, 2020). "'The Boys' Showrunner On If Homelander Can Be Killed". Heroic Hollywood. Retrieved September 4, 2020.
- ^ "You Found Me" The Boys Season 1×1 (July 26, 2019) Kripke, Eric; Saunders, Anne Cofell; Sonnenshine, Rebecca.
- ^ Ennis, Garth; McCrea, John; Keith Burns. Herogasm #1–2 (May–June 2009) Dynamite Entertainment.
- ^ Darwish, Meaghan (6 August 2019). "'The Boys': Why Homelander Is TV's Best New Villain". TV Insider. Retrieved 6 August 2019.
- ^ Pulliam-Moore, Charles (16 November 2020). "The Fascism Is the Point". io9. Retrieved 16 November 2020.
- ^ Smail, Gretchen (August 2, 2019). "THE BOYS' Homelander Represents the Worst of America". Nerdist. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- ^ Coates, Lauren (October 26, 2020). "The Boys' Homelander represents how the world sees America". Polygon. Retrieved October 26, 2020.
- ^ Sarner, Lauren (July đôi mươi, 2019). "'The Boys' star Antony Starr dishes on edgy new superhero show". New York Post. Retrieved July đôi mươi, 2019.
- ^ Gass, Zach (12 June 2021). "Omniman (& 9 Other Best Known Alternative Versions Of Superman)". Screen Rant. Retrieved 3 July 2021.
- ^ December 02, Nick Romano Updated; EST, 2022 at 04:19 PM. "Metro Boomin samples Homelander from 'The Boys' on new album". EW.com. Retrieved 2023-02-14.
- ^ Tassi, Paul. "This Is What Homelander, Starlight And Black Noir Bundles Look Like In 'Call Of Duty,' Plus Release Dates". Forbes. Retrieved 2023-07-15.
- ^ Onder, Cade (21 July 2023). "Mortal Kombat 1 Reveals Homelander, Peacemaker, and Omni-Man as DLC". Retrieved 21 July 2023.
- ^ "Mortal Kombat 1 adds Omni-Man, Peacemaker, and Homelander to lớn roster". 24 July 2023. Retrieved 8 August 2023.